CAMRA LocAle - the accreditation scheme to promote pubs that sell locally-brewed real ale, reducing the number of 'beer miles' and supporting your local breweries.
What is CAMRA LocAle?
CAMRA LocAle is an initiative that promotes pubs stocking locally brewed real ale. The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local produce and an increased awareness of 'green' issues.
The CAMRA LocAle scheme was created in 2007 by CAMRA's Nottingham branch which wanted to help support the tradition of brewing within Nottinghamshire, following the demise of local brewer Hardys and Hansons.
Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale...
- Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
- Consumers who enjoy greater beer choice and diversity
- Local brewers who gain from increased sales
- The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
- The environment due to fewer 'beer miles' resulting in less road congestion and pollution
- Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride - let's celebrate what makes our locality different.
To benefit from participation in the CAMRA LocAle scheme the pub landlord must agree to endeavour to ensure that at least one locally-brewed real ale is on sale at all times. Only real ale can be promoted as a CAMRA LocAle.
For the Swale Branch of CAMRA, LocAle is defined as beers brewed by the following Kent Breweries.
Boutilliers, Canterbury Ales, Canterbury Brewers (Foundry), Caveman, Four Candles, Goachers, Goodys, Hopdaemon, Hop Fuzz, Kent Brewery, Mad Cat, Millis, Nelson, Old Dairy, Ramsgate, Ripple Steam, Romney Marsh, Shepherd Neame, Spencer's, Swan on the Green, Time & Tide, Tonbridge, Turnstone, Wantsum, Whitstable and Rother Valley from East Sussex, all these breweries being within 25 miles of the pubs in our area. We have nine pubs taking part so far:
Corner Tap, Elephant, Furlongs Ale House and the Vaults-Cask & Kitchen, Faversham;
Shipwrights Arms, Hollowshore, nr Faversham;
The Three Tuns, Lower Halstow;
Admiral's Arm Micropub, Queenborough;
The Paper Mill Micropub, Sittingbourne;
The Swan, Teynham.
With more in the pipeline..